By Jason Cabler
Financial peace of mind is one of the most important things Angie and I have been able to achieve in life. It was a long time coming, but I can tell you that beyond a shadow of a doubt, our financial freedom has had an incredible impact on our lives that goes far beyond money and finances.
In this article, I’ll show you how getting financial peace of mind has changed our lives for the better, as well as some of the most important things you can do to achieve financial peace of mind in your own life.
We Had No Financial Peace of Mind
When we first started this journey years ago, Angie and I were absolutely terrible at communicating about money. Lack of financial unity was causing upheaval in our marriage and making us into stressed out, unhappy people.
When we finally decided we had to do something about it, it took a couple of years for true change to take hold. But once we took the time to learn good financial habits and apply them to our lives, our financial peace of mind has done nothing but increase!
What We Have Accomplished Financially
Since those early days we’ve accomplished some pretty awesome financial milestones!
We’ve been able to:
- Pay cash for our last three cars.
- Pay cash for Angie’s two completed college degrees at a time when our income was cut in half.
- Use cash to pay for all our vacations.
- Pay cash for three more college degrees for my son, daughter, and wife that are currently in various stages of being completed.
- Pay cash for a rental house that generates passive cash-flow every month.
- Totally eliminate money fights from our marriage for over 12 years and counting!
- Teach our kids by example how to succeed with money.
- Achieve a level of happiness and peace in our lives that would be much more difficult to achieve if we were deep in debt and worrying about how to pay the bills.
Anyone Can Achieve Financial Peace of Mind
One of the cool things about achieving financial peace of mind is that we understand that we’re not special. Over the years of gaining our own financial freedom and teaching others how to do it, we’ve come to realize that financial peace is something anyone can achieve!
How to Achieve Financial Peace of Mind
So what does it take to get the financial peace of mind that so many of us want but only a few actually get?
You don’t have to make a six-figure income or have superhuman powers.
It starts with the willingness to think different, act different, and not worry about what everyone else is doing.
Below you’ll find some of my best tips for achieving financial freedom.
Keep in mind that you shouldn’t try to do all these at once. It takes time if you want to do it right.
Tackle them one or two at a time.
Just remember to stay patient and keep moving forward.
Change How You Think
The first step to achieving financial peace of mind is to change your mindset. How you think about money has to precede everything else.
You should understand there is a huge difference between how the average broke person thinks about money, and how people with financial freedom think about money.
Average broke people believe:
- Debt is an inevitable part of life.
- Only rich people can pay cash for things like cars, college, and vacations.
- You can’t get by without credit cards.
- Most people can’t get out of debt.
- It’s necessary to maintain a high credit score.
- It’s impossible to save enough money to retire.
Consequently, average people are in debt up to their eyeballs, have very little saved for retirement, and have zero hope of ever achieving financial peace of mind.
They simply don’t believe financial freedom is possible. Many believe the lies that the system is rigged against them and there is little or nothing they can do to get ahead.
People with financial peace of mind understand:
- That no matter your income, financial freedom is achievable.
- Maintaining a high credit score has nothing to do with financial success.
- Consumer debt is not conducive to financial peace of mind, and should be avoided.
- Saving for retirement is possible, even if you have a low income.
- Cash is king, and when you set up your finances to reflect that, your financial life gets tremendously easier.
You can’t go from being a normal broke person to having financial peace of mind without changing your mind about how money should be used. You need to get a better mindset when it comes to money!